Interactive Brokers Excel Trader v1.6
Interactive Brokers Excel Trader is a programmable spreadsheet extension for Trader Workstation (TWS), which lets you trade manually or automatically directly from Excel. You can program custom trading rules using spreadsheet formulas and VBA macros. IB Excel Trader provides the convenience and flexibility of an Excel spreadsheet for entering and tracking single or bracket orders for up to 200 stocks, futures, and Forex currency pairs. Orders can be submitted, updated, or cancelled using buttons at the top of the spreadsheet, programmatically using VBA functions, or via TWS. Trigger conditions and order parameters such as direction, size, limit/stop prices, and many others can be computed on-the-fly using quotes, order status, and position updates streamed to Excel in real-time.
IB Excel Trader comes complete with commented VBA macro source code and a user guide.
With IB Excel Trader you can:
- Trade Stocks, ETFs, Futures, and Forex.
- Implement custom position entry conditions using Excel spreadsheet formulas.
- Automate your strategies for trading via Interactive Brokers.
- Use Excel formulas and VBA macros to implement custom trading rules and calculate order parameters.
- Integrate trading signals from 3rd party/custom applications and market data sources to drive trades via Interactive Brokers.
- Send orders or order combos, such as Bracket and One-Cancels-All for one or multiple instruments manually using buttons in the spreadsheet, or automatically using pre-programmed rules.
- Trade up to 200 instruments.
- Connect to TWS or IB API Gateway running on the any computer on your network.
In addition to packing a number of useful features such as manual or automatic bracket and OCA order group submission, it serves as an easily extensible base for implementing your own trading rules and algorithms.
Automate Trading Using Excel Formulas and VBA macros
IB Excel Trader can be used as an expandable base for building custom algorithmic trading systems. It provides basic functionality required for trading via IB ActiveX API, including connection management, order id generation, event-based order status updates, and data feed callback methods. If you are familiar with Excel and VBA – you can build your custom trading logic on top of base IB Excel Trader version without having to start from scratch.
IB Excel Trader includes out-of-the box functionality such as :
- Real-time streaming of quotes, position size updates, and order status changes from TWS to Excel.
- Formula-based position entry order triggers.
- Automatic submission of exit Stop-Loss/Take-Profit bracket orders.
- Account positions synchronization between Excel and TWS.
- Order Log with details about each submitted order status change: time, order id, filled size, remaining size, last fill price, average fill price, etc…
Detailed Features Description
With IB Excel Trader, you get the full power and flexibility of using Excel’s formulas and VBA macros to automate your trading without having to purchase expensive third-party packages that use proprietary programming languages and involve recurring annual fees. As an added benefit – many popular products and services support integration with Excel, and you can easily use data from 3rd party market data providers, signal generators, and news feeds for entry and exit order conditions using familiar Excel functions.
IB Excel Trader uses IB ActiveX API and requires an active connection to TWS in order to submit and monitor orders, receive real-time quotes, and position updates.
All orders submitted by IB Excel Trader are visible in Trader Workstation and can be viewed, modified, or canceled in TWS interface at any time.
- IB Excel Trader uses IB ActiveX API and requires IB Client API (provided by Interactive Brokers).
- Real-time quotes and position size updates are synchronized between Trader Workstation and IB Excel Trader.
- Existing account positions can be loaded into Excel without one click of a button.
- Submit position entry and exit orders for up to 200 different instruments manually or using pre-programmed rules.
- Position entry triggers can be implemented using standard Excel formulas that reference any data point in the spreadsheet. Position entry triggers can be turned on and off separately.
- Market, limit, stop, and stop-limit orders are supported.
- Following entry and exit bracket order grouping methods:
- IB Bracket orders. Entry order + Stop-Loss Exit order + Take-Profit Exit order all submitted simultaneously. All three orders will appear in TWS as a linked order group, if one order is cancelled – others will be cancelled automatically. Stop-loss and take-profit limit prices can be modified through Excel or directly in TWS user interface.
- OCA (One-Cancels-All) orders. Take-Profit and Stop-Loss are submitted together linked by the same OCA label. You can configure IB Excel Trader to submit exit bracket order automatically as soon as entry order is filled, or submit it manually using a button at the top. If one order in the bracket is filled or manually cancelled – the other order will be cancelled automatically by Interactive Brokers.
- Exit orders/brackets can be configured to be submitted automatically upon entry order fill.
- Submitted orders’ prices and quantity can be updated directly from Excel while orders are still in Submitted or Partially Filled state.
- Order can be modified or cancelled via Excel spreadsheet and using TWS interface.
- Automatic order id generation and tracking.
- Unlimited – by email after purchase for ALL customers.
Interactive Brokers (IB) is a low cost provider of trade execution and clearing services for individuals, advisors, prop trading groups, brokers and hedge funds. IB’s premier technology provides direct access to stocks, options, futures, forex, bonds and funds on over 100 markets worldwide from a single IB Universal account.
Member NYSE, FINRA, SIPC. Visit www.interactivebrokers.com for more information.
With questions about IB Excel Trader features, automated trading, and to request new features or enhancements – feel free to send us a message via the Contact Us form on the right.
IB Excel Trader is developed and supported by Mercurion Technologies, Inc., and is distributed by its subsidiary Trading Geeks.